Submissions to The Ilanot Review
The theme of our Winter 2019 issue is
Poetry and Creative Nonfiction/Hybrid Only
Submission period: August 1, 2018-October 31, 2018
About CRISIS: Deriving from the Greek “krisis,” meaning “decision” but also a “decisive moment,” the word “crisis” has come to apply to moments and situations of danger, stress and uncertainty. Crises can be unpredictable, and how we deal with a crisis can test the limits of our endurance and capacity for survival. A crisis can expose our weaknesses, but we can also emerge stronger, more durable from the experience. We hope to learn from a crisis, so we do not repeat it. We are not always successful. The poems and nonfiction/hybrid selections that we will gather under the subject of crisis will engage crisis in its broadest meaning. We welcome in particular pieces that address contemporary crises—from the political and environmental—and rethink the ways in which poetry engages and responds to crisis in real time.
Only one submission per submitter, please! Multiple submissions will be automatically disqualified.
- Poetry: Up to four poems. Please submit all work + bio in a single Word file, with each poem beginning on a separate page. Please include your name and contact information on each page.
- Creative Nonfiction: Up to 3000 words.
- Hybrid: Up to 3000 words. Everything that falls in between poetry and creative nonfiction.
- Graphics: We’d love to see comics, paintings, photos, photo essays, graphic poetry/nonfiction. Please submit a single document or up to six image files (all files must be included in a single submission).
- Cover Art: Up to six images per artist. Please include all images in a single submission.
We are happy to consider translations of original work, provided the translator has obtained permission from the author. Be sure to include the original work in Word format.
- We only consider work that has not been previously published. This includes internet venues, blogs and self-published work.
- Please include a short bio (50 -75 words) with your submission.
- We will consider simultaneous submissions but ask that you retract your work immediately if it is accepted for publication elsewhere.
- If your work appears in our current issue, we kindly ask that you refrain from submitting to our upcoming issue.
- We retain first serial rights. At the time of publication, all rights revert back to the author. However, The Ilanot Review retains the right to publish the piece(s) in any subsequent issue or anthology, whether in print or online. Should you decide to republish the piece elsewhere, we ask that you cite The Ilanot Review as a place of previous publication and provide our web address.
Facebook: The Ilanot Review