Submissions to The Ilanot Review
Submission period for the fall 2021 issue of The Ilanot Review:
May 1, 2021 – June 30, 2021
Free submissions: May 1, 2021 – May 14, 2021
Paid submissions*: May 15, 2021 – June 30, 2021
(Works in translation can be submitted for free between June 1 and June 30)
Guest Poetry Editors for “Ephemera(l)“:
Iris Jamahl Dunkle & Nicole Callihan
For a brief time (May 1-June 30) we will be reading for the “Ephemera(l)” issue of The Ilanot Review. We want your evanescent, deciduous flash. Life is temporary, and earth seems even more short-lived than it ought to be. Death is the mother of beauty, and in her honor, slip us your fleeting, fugacious, transient beauties. We especially welcome flash fiction and creative nonfiction, one-line poems, and graphics that might just disappear. We want the momentary encounters of momentous consequence, the ghost of what was once dearly loved, the vibrations of the earth and air at the approach of a hummingbird, the echoes of time, and ripples of what could have been.
- Only one submission per reading period, please! Multiple submissions (including submissions to multiple genres) will be automatically disqualified.
- We will consider simultaneous submissions but ask that you retract your work immediately if it is accepted for publication elsewhere.
- If your work appears in our current or previous issue, we kindly ask that you refrain from submitting to our upcoming issue.
- Please include a short bio (50 -75 words) with your submission.
- We welcome unpublished translations of original work, provided the translator has obtained permission from the author. Please include a copy of the original work with your submission.
- We welcome work that challenges conventions of form, style, and content.
- Poetry: Up to 5 poems, not to exceed 7 pages. Please submit all work + bio in a single Word file, with each poem beginning on a separate page. Please include your name and contact information on each page.
- Microfiction: Up to 3 pieces of microfiction, no longer than 400 words each.
- Short Fiction: One piece of short fiction, between 401 and 1500 words long.
- Creative Nonfiction: One essay of up to 3000 words, or up to 3 flash pieces, no longer than 1500 words total.
- Comics, Photo Essays, Visual Narratives: Please submit a single document or up to 6 image files (all files must be included in a single submission).
- Art and Photography: Artwork submitted to this category will be considered for inclusion within the journal’s pages and as cover art.
- Translations: We welcome unpublished translations into English from any language, provided the translator has obtained permission from the author. See above for word limits for each genre. Please include a copy of the original work with your submission.
*After a 2-week period of free submissions, The Ilanot Review will be charging a $3 fee for all submissions, with the exception of works in translation. For the past 10 years, we’ve been funding our operations (Submittable and web hosting fees) by hosting live workshops and other events in Israel. The COVID-19 pandemic has made our usual fundraising activities impossible, so we have little choice but to charge this time around. We know that times are tough for everyone, and we sincerely thank you for your understanding.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
Facebook: The Ilanot Review